Sunday, February 14, 2010

PolyValentines

I feel like it’s Valentine’s Day and that means I really should post something. I’m not one for sap or sentimentality and I don’t think that the few I know who read this are either, so something about the boyfriend wouldn’t quite be in order. I’ve sort of went back and forth about what, if anything, I’d end up writing here. What I’ve decided I should write is my confession that I’m a polygamist.


Ok, not really. However, I spent my Valentine’s Day with not one Valentine, but about 15 or 20 and that’s really the way I’d prefer it. I ate their delicious food and they drank my hurricanes. We drank and chatted and ate and ate and polished off 2 bottles of Southern Comfort before 2 this afternoon.


And while I probably should have considered doing something “romantic” on Valentine’s Day, it’s much more of a special occasion to get to gather with a group of friends who don’t see each other every day. We also don’t get to eat like that every day. We had soup, meatballs, lasagna, Spanish tortillas and Rachel’s Red Velvet cupcakes (made with love, no less) just to name a few of our dishes. To me, that is far more eventful and since my many Valentines are so wonderful, it was way more meaningful than any forced display of affection.


Now, before I get the “bad boyfriend” badge assigned to me, I should also say that we did our Valentine’s dinner on Friday. We also spent the rest of today cuddled up on the couch indulging in the Olympics, which meant a lot to both of us. I’m just not one for spreading out rose petals just because the calendar tells me it’s the assigned day.


Incidentally, earlier today we were talking about how you can get a pass on being a little creepy/polygamous if you are attractive and so here’s to hoping I get a pass, cuz like Rachel, I made my hurricanes with love.

2 comments: