Monday, October 26, 2009

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

I will start this by saying that the rest of this post might likely turn into platitudes and I will also admit that it is kind of off topic from the rest of the blog.


The “coming out” process is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to deal with. I’m using present tense on purpose. It was more than 8 years ago that I actually came out to my mom. It was a mess of an over the phone conversation on my sister’s couch one morning. It continues to be a struggle. Once the words “I’m gay” came out of my mouth, she and I reached a never verbalized agreement to just never speak of it again. So, I live my normal life with my friends, co-workers and even the Twitterati where I’m perfectly out and everything is fine. Then there is the life I have with her where we talk and share our lives with each other, except for that one little piece that I withhold.


I started writing this because I’ve just been exchanging text messages with a friend who is coming out to his mom. He is just a bit older than me and has actually lived with his boyfriend for several years. He’s just never actually said the words “I’m gay” to his mother.


I know someone else who is younger and is just going through the “should I or shouldn’t I come out” process. He had worked up the courage to do it a few days ago, but when he saw his mom, she had some other family news/drama to discuss and so he tabled the conversation for another day.


I’m actually really scared for both of them. I would hate for these guys to lose that closeness, that connection and that unconditional love that only a mom can give.


Obviously, the situation may go differently for these two. I certainly hope it does. However, coming out to my mom was the first time I’d ever seen disappointment in her eyes. It was the first time I’d ever felt like I’d truly hurt her. It ended up being a giant wedge driven into our relationship and I sometimes wish I could take it back.


Don’t get me wrong, I’m perfectly happy and content being who I am. I have no guilt or reservation in being what I was created. I just wish that there was some way for me to be that and also still “a good son” in my mother’s eyes. I was watching “Glee” the other night and one of the characters came out to his dad. He was met with a hug and acceptance. I bawled like a 2 year old on the sofa. Wouldn’t it be great if real life could be like TV?


****


Even in 2009 it takes courage to be out, so big hugs to both of the guys I talk about here and to all my gays and the girlz (and the odd straight guy) who love us.

6 comments:

  1. Do NOT make me come over there and give you a big old mommy hug.

    I'm sorry your family doesn't give you more support about being gay. You're such a sweet guy; any mom would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how tough it would be to come out to certain parents (@ricetopher is certainly an exception, unfortunately). I also cried during Glee when Kurt came out to his "manly man" dad.
    Your friends are lucky to have you- just make sure they know that they have a whole slew of other people (you included) that will accept them as they are until their parents come around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still completely shocked by any response I get to this. However, I'm really touched by the kind words I've already received both here and on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would you be shocked by the positive response?

    Geez, dude. You gotta get over that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said a long time ago that if either of my boys ever came out as anything - including but not limited to gay with purple stripes and pink polka dots - I'll be happy for them and not disappointed in any way whatsoever. I want them to be honest with themselves and me - and each other - and be happy with their lives (and with themselves). I tell them both all the time that I'll love and support them both no matter what.

    Like Tayler -- he just went into Marine boot camp. I'm not happy with his decision to be a Marine (I'd rather he have gone Navy or Air Force). But this was his decision, he made it himself, and I support and love him regardless.

    It's not unconditional love if you put conditions on it and aren't completely honest. Sometimes my boys and I are too honest with each other - but we laugh and go on.

    I'm with Mother Tongue - any mother should be proud of you! :) I am. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're such a sweet guy; any mom would be proud.

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete