Friday, December 12, 2014

Poem Post

It's been awhile, hasn't it?

I wrote a poem tonight and as usual, I suck at titles, so it doesn't have one at the moment. But, here it is:

I left the vestibule door open
when I ran in
jacked up on generic Kool-Aid
and store bought cookies
and I knew
as sure as I knew that my
new Reeboks were a size 11
that this year I was
gonna sing so loud
they'd hear me across the river
across the tracks
even if the old L&N coal train
went by
blowing it's horn at the
Black Bottom crossing.

I never was good at the craft part
of Vacation Bible School
I couldn't, still can't, paint
or work with my hands.
But Jesus loves the little children
red and yellow, black and white
I could sing it
over the clicking of Kodaks
the whipping of bulletins as fans
and the heathen kids riding by
on rusty Huffys outside.

Mama was gonna be proud.

I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag
Onward Christian soldiers
marching as to war

Oh, Victory in Jesus
My Savior
Forever

Lord, it's been a month of Sundays
but I still know all the verses to
How Great Thou Art
but my voice is rusty

The B-I-B-L-E was not the book for me
I stood alone
on grown man feet and
couldn't walk back through
the vestibule door.

Blessed assurance
Jesus is mine
Little ones to him belong
I once was lost
or am
or wasn't

The son has now outlived the Son
But I can look outside and
see Him in a December sky
in my boyfriend
feel Him in the marrow of my sternum
as I write these words
with shaky hands
But, oh God
Is it well with my soul?

3 comments:

  1. I like. Have you thought about reading at the Holler Poets Series? Last Wednesday of the month, Al's Bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it, too. Take it to Holler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't. I'm not opposed to it, though. I know I write more when I'm around people who are also writing. Also, and more importantly, thanks.

    ReplyDelete