Saturday, December 19, 2009

Maybe This Year Will be Techier Than the Last

The fact that I was in a kind of upscale local bar is not at all surprising. The fact that I was there helping people understand how to use Google Wave, now that should give Lucifer space to work on his triple Lutz.

It’s perfectly acceptable to refer to me as a Luddite. I don’t care for technology. Technology scares me and I consistently break it. However, in the past year I’ve managed to get a Twitter account, upgrade to a BlackBerry, begrudgingly get a Facebook and I’ve started a flippin’ blog.

You will see that the blog is terribly low-tech as these things are concerned. I’ve tried making the font uniform, but it doesn’t work. I have no idea how to create a link within my text and not the foggiest how to had a photo. Y’all that can add video frickin’ blow my mind.

That being said, I’ve came pretty far in less than a year. This hadn’t occurred to me until I was at aforementioned bar last week. One of the guys there actually made the comment about my “progress” and how I seemed to be embracing the 21st Century. However, I wouldn’t say that I’ve been converted. (See above).

I will say though, that this year has been one of the best that I’ve had in awhile. I also have to concede that has largely been a product of my getting with the times. I definitely had some hard things to cope with in 2009, but I’ve also really started finding some happiness, too. I’m writing again (though y’all can see I’m kind of out of practice) and I’ve met some really fantastic people. I’ve found several people who have welcomed me into their fold, into their homes and have been willing to just sit down and have a drink and a good time with me. And just about every bit of this started when I named myself Jupiter and sent my first tweet.

Through my Twitter (btw, is that supposed to be phrased my Twitter account, my Twitter Feed, my Tweets, my personal, virtual aviary in the ornithological section of the Internets?) I’ve found ways to get involved and more in touch with my city. I know more about what is going on in our local arts scene than ever before and I find myself with something to do just about every night of the week. I feel like my creative juices are flowing a bit more and my political passion/interest is getting some attention as well. I’ve even started getting accustomed to people calling me Jupiter.

A quick note about that: I will say that I’m still weirded out (not in a bad way) when I meet people for the first time and a) they call me Jupiter b) know WAY more about me than a stranger should c) refer to stuff I’ve written. It’s obviously great that people read my tweets and the blog, but I’ve yet to realize the true openness of what I write here. I also am kind of amazed that people even read it. This whole thing is very self-centered. Also, my non-techie self feels a bit of detachment from words that I type and words that people read.

However, I’m embracing my little tiptoe into technology and can only see more good things coming of it. So, here’s to 2010 and to *gulp* technology and to inadvertently renaming myself Jupiter. But you can call me, Jupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment