Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Homophobia in the House

I’ve never liked the word ‘homophobic’. It’s just always seemed so accusatory and hostile. And though I guess it’s the point, it seems like it’s a word that has an implicit insult. I’ve never particularly felt that it was ok. 
I grew up around people who most would consider homophobic. They don’t support gay marriage and even though they’ve always had gay people around, they don’t understand it. They assume it’s a choice. They believe it’s a sin. They’re pretty sure all the gays are going to hell. Ultimately though, they’re good people who are just doing what they believe the Bible tells them. They love, but they don’t understand. It just doesn’t seem right to insult them when we only have a difference of opinion. 
That’s the lens that I’ve seen homophobia through until the past few weeks. I’ve had a parent be unhappy and disappointed in me because I’m gay. I’ve had coworkers who’d still use the “f” word around me, but then apologize and still be fantastic to me. I went to a baptist college and encountered plenty of people who would be openly hostile to gays.  However, I never felt wronged. I just felt like people didn’t understand. They were still nice to me. They weren’t bad people; we just didn’t agree. Kind of the same way that people who think we need to own guns and I don’t agree.  
However, I can now say without reservation that my landlord is a homophobic bastard.
I’ve blogged before that despite being a good tenant, when I told him that my boyfriend had moved in with me, he immediately asked me to move out. This was strictly because he doesn’t like two men living in the same apartment. He has two straight couples living in the building, but he keeps telling me that “he doesn’t allow more than one person to live in the apartments.” Our plan was for the boyfriend to get a job and then we were going to move out. 
The landlord hadn’t said a word since our initial conversation. He hadn’t forced the issue and due to the boyfriend’s unemployment, we weren’t really in a position to move out.
I then found myself in line at the car rental place in the airport about to leave for 3 weeks for work. It’ll be a bit of extra money and I’m hoping provide some cash to help us move. While standing there, I got a call from the landlord. He’s now forcing the issue. He wants us out. I explained that I was literally about to leave. He said he’d give us the month of May, however, he wants me to call him with our plan to get out when I return. 
So yeah, I now believe in homophobia. I guess it’s like believing in ghosts. You believe it when you see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment