Monday, September 20, 2010

Autumn Poem

I'm posting this because I think the previous entry had been up for about as long as anyone wanted to see it. I know it doesn't really feel like fall yet, but the calendar says it really should start feeling that way soon. So, without further ado, a quick poem:

Because I love the way 
I feel when seasons change. 
I turn brightly inward
deeper, more reflective.

something about that imminent change
the potato chip crispness of the air
while i still wear sandals.

the way coffee tastes richer and
every breath in could initiate a tear

senses more alive
eyes less heavy
the atmosphere more awake
and shaking me
like my Mom used to
when lying in bed on 
those first cold mornings. 

Because of this I sit in 
the coffeehouse while 
slow, easy almost maroon
jazz plays. 

with the impending equinox
making me feel as deciduous
as an oak tree in October. 

No comments:

Post a Comment