Tuesday, May 4, 2010

America and Gay Yoda

Over the past year or so I've had an extraordinary group of new friends enter my life. To a person, they've all been fantastic in their own way and I truly feel grateful for the pleasure of getting to know them.

I call one of them my Gay Yoda. He doesn't know that. He's wise and dispenses fantastic advice and knowledge as casually as I sip bourbon. His words are occasionally cryptic and require some time to sort out, but once I have, I always come out better for it.

And though he will hate that I'm even writing this introduction, it is upon his advice that I'm posting today. He challenged me to let my inner poet speak on here. I've mentioned that I write poetry, but it never really shows up on the blog. So, I'm posting a poem I wrote a few years ago that I came across today while flipping through a notebook.

Like my blog posts, it was written quickly (after driving to work and just as I sat down at my desk). It was towards the beginning of the Iraq War and I was suddenly overwhelmed while in the car during my commute. After the bomb scare in New York this weekend and the growing popularity of the teabaggers and their ultra-patriotism, the poem seemed to still have some relevance. And so...without further ado and and with a nod to Gay Yoda, here it is:

and then it occurred to me
that i too am an american
smelling lilac through
air conditioning vents in
stop and go traffic.

there's a crest on my polo
shirt and i've just stood
in line 13 minutes for coffee.

i don't know what to think.

there's fighting in fallujah
more killing in kabul
texas runs coast to coast it seems
and i felt so
separtist
so isolated
so us and not them.

you see, i'm not what most
would call a patriot
you won't hear me singing
"oh beautiful for spacious skies"
or "pilgrim's feet"
or hell, even smog clouds and Nikes.

but on a thursday morning,
i'm reminded that i too
am an American

another consumer on the capitalist
food chain
a getter, a spender, a place me
on my mark and show me
where the rats are racing runner.

and..i'm shaken
disoriented
if i give into it
i'm shocked...i'm awed.

and i'm angry
i'm angry with myself...hypocrite!
and i'm angry at my friends...how did we get this way?
and i'm angry at the forefathers...look what you created!

and i'm angry at my country.

yes, i'm angry with you
America.
land of the free??? home of the brave???

i've been dreaming your american dream
while suffering from sleep apnea
and now i'm gasping for breath
and realizing how incredulous
you are
how sneaky and covert
you can be.

you've made me one of your own.

its your blood that flows through me
and even if i choke and wheeze
its your air that i'm breathing.

yes, i too am an american
not just because my passport says so
but because there is something you've
instilled in me.

something unmoveable
something modern
something so vital and fundamental
that it can live inside me without
my even knowing it's there.

until
this thursday morning
with the smell of lilac
filtered under my hood
and i realize the irony of
climate control and
climate change

yes, i too am an american
one of yours, and by default
one of theirs.
one of the hordes, the masses
the consuming and the consumed.

and i'm forced to wonder
if i too am an american
lady liberty,
can you take that away from me?

1 comment:

  1. You should post this stuff more often! Love it!

    And for the record: I'm glad to count you as a friend too, you sweet thang.

    ReplyDelete