Monday, January 11, 2010

2010, in Summary, before The Price is Right, Jan 11

Since New Year’s Day I’ve made exactly 5 attempts to blog. I’ve posted exactly nothing. So, I find myself sitting here on January 11 waiting for the The Price is Right to come on and having posted not a single thing in 2010. What follows is simply a giant condensing of what I had been trying to form into longer, more developed thoughts.


--I had never heard of the “whatever you do/eat on New Year’s day will be indicative of your entire year” belief until this year. It appears everyone in the world knew about this, but somehow had forgotten to tell me. However, if that’s the case, I’m going to spend 2010 recovering from food poisoning and eating bread and ginger ale. I’ll be having a gigantic fight with the boyfriend. I’ll also end up having delightful conversations with a friend who attempted to make me feel better and sent me home with all of the food I missed at the now legendary brunch I couldn’t attend. And in summary, I’ll probably never eat spinach salad again. That’s the January 1, 2010 summary.


--I love snow. It’s so pretty and makes me have some fairly sappy, nostalgic childhood memories. I’ve just developed an aversion to the stuff. You see, my job gets ridiculously busy when it snows. It makes me go from really hating the job to being almost unable to get out of bed and go. I was nearly 2 hours late everyday this week. It was all purely a function of barely being able to make myself get up and go. Thankfully, nobody at work really cares when I get there.


--I love the Winter Olympics (and not just the super gay figure skating) and can’t wait for them to start.


--Lastly, I first heard this “creative class” term back in June. I wrote a quick bit about it on our “Mowing the Bluegrass” site (which took a brief hiatus, but will be coming back soon). However, I will restate my initial point. We have a ton of young, creative, perfectly willing to do something people. We just are rarely engaged. We don’t need to recruit them, entice them or incentivize our city. We just need to look under our collective noses and realize we have a giant pool of untapped talent that we look over. I said it in my initial writing and I’ll say it again “we’re here and we have disposable income!”. Even more, we have some great ideas about how to take our Lexington forward and are willing to do the heavy lifting. We just have no idea how to bust through the “established voices” to be heard.


So that’s 2010 up to this point. Hopefully, this is also no indication of my using this little space in 2010. I kind of enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment